BDP has been appointed to expand and enhance the facilities and accommodation at the Grade II* listed Garrick Club in London’s Covent Garden.
Founded in 1831 and named after the eighteenth-century actor David Garrick, the club includes many distinguished actors, lawyers and men of letters, and is custodian to a significant collection of theatrical portraits and drawings, manuscripts and documents. Purpose built in 1864 the building has undergone minor adaptations over the years but has never had an overall strategic review to assess the building’s full potential within its historic context.
BDP was initially appointed to establish a masterplan for the historic premises in Covent Garden as well as its neighbouring properties in Garrick Street, to rationalise existing accommodation, optimise the efficiency of the various buildings and create new facilities to support the activities of the club.
The masterplan was subsequently developed into detailed design proposals, and includes improvements to access and circulation, providing disabled access to all floors, improvements to the existing library, billiard room and function rooms together with the creation of new private dining, bedroom and support facilities. These significant enhancements are achieved through the substantial internal reordering of the buildings together with discreet extensions to the listed building within this sensitive conservation area.
Work started on site earlier this year with a requirement to maintain continuous use of the club for members during construction.