BDP has been commissioned by the University of Edinburgh to help the relocation process of its prestigious School of Engineering which was established in 1868 and moved to the King’s Buildings campus in the 1920s. The school has developed and evolved over the last century and is now nearing full capacity. To meet the demands of the engineering challenges facing society over the next century, and to accommodate future growth, the university is embarking on an ambitious development programme to create a new home for the school to the south west of the campus. This strategy will enable the school’s estate to improve on its energy and spatial efficiency, to increase collaboration opportunities and to expand in the longer term.
Architect director Christoph Ackermann commented: “The University of Edinburgh is transforming the King’s Building campus into a world class, dynamic campus and the relocation of the School of Engineering is a key component of this process. We are looking forward to working with the university to help deliver this vision.”
BDP is appointed as lead designer, architect, structural engineer and landscape architect. M&E engineer Hoare Lea and principal designer Gardiner & Theobald join the team.